Locate in Kamo City, Niigata, which is called Little Kyoto in Hokuetsu.
The shop’ s history dates back to the early Meiji era (1868-1912), when the founder Bunkichi Ominato started the manufacture and wholesale of shibugami (an insect repellent, being spread under the soft rush tatami mats) made from traditional Japanese washi paper, a Kamo specialty, varnished with persimmon tannin extract.
Later, in the Showa era (1926-1989), Bunkichi the Second started the manufacture and wholesale of byobu (folding screens bearing decorative paintings or calligraphy) with the use of the fabrication techniques for chests and ﬁttings, which were the local industry of Kamo, creating products combining paper and wood -- the staple merchandise at the time.
In the late 1970s to early 1980s, in addition to authentic Japanese furnishings, the shop developed and produced shoji paper screens blending the Western and Japanese styles into their design.
In the late 1980s, the shop started the manufacture of general interior products and extended its lineup from folding screens to interior furnishings and partitions.
While doing so, it further consolidated know-how of manufacturing ﬁttings, picture and calligraphy mounting, and furniture, which enabled its entry into the market of oﬃce ﬁxtures and Buddhist altar equipment.